- Install the measurement tools, like emma, clover, Cobertura, CodeCover
- Learn/understand the project code. Each project may have unique requirements in terms of writing unit tests, like struts, database, containers API, any other API.
- Use FindBug & CheckStyle reports to improve the quality of code.
- Build the initial required framework for writing unit tests, for the ease of rest of team.
- Move from [Code - Test - Debug] => [Test - Code - Refactor] Mode
- Achieve the state of -- Writing a new test should not introduce more overhead than the test itself.
Writing a test makes you ask a lot of questions related to the requirements as well as implementation, which eventually is very helpful to filter out any bugs which may be introduced in the appications otherwise.